Re: [patch] make sysctl_overcommit_memory enumeration sensible

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 05:30:43 EST

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:05:59AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

Coywolf Qi Hunt <qiyong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see system admins often confused when they sysctl vm.overcommit_memory.
This patch makes overcommit_memory enumeration sensible.

0 - no overcommit
1 - always overcommit
2 - heuristic overcommit (default)

I don't feel this would break any userspace scripts.

eh? If any such scripts exist, they'll break.

Confused.

That's a corner case. Let'em break and fix. Otherwise, users will
be confused. Even they get it right, after some weeks they'll have
to re-read the doc. A logical user interface is important to human.

If I have

vm.overcommit_memory = 2

in my /etc/sysctl.conf, its meaning silently changes. I'll know about it during the next oomkiller pass.