Re: RFC: disk geometry via sysfs

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 11:01:34 EST

On Mer, 2006-02-15 at 10:20 -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I thought that C/H/S addressing was purely a function of int 13, not the
> hardware interface? If it is a function of some older hardware
> interfaces, then we are still talking about two different, and likely
> incompatible geometries: the one the disk reports, and the one the bios
> reports. The values in the MBR must be the values the bios reports.

We have at least three

Disk reported C/H/S
BIOS reported C/H/S (hda/hdb only)
Actual C/H/S (if it exists)
Partition table C/H/S

A partitioning tool needs to know
Disk reported C/H/S
Partition table C/H/S
Preferably BIOS reported C/H/S if there is one

The partition table C/H/S is on disk so trivial
The disk reported ones are in the identify block so could be pulled via
/proc and sysfs
The BIOS one is PC specific low memory poking around

I agree entirely that HD_GETGEO itself shouldn't matter.