Re: Linux 2.6.16-rc3

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 12:36:16 EST

Russell King wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:56:00PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
[...]
OK, this is what I'm proposing as the device model fix. What it does is
thread context checking APIs throughout the device subsystem. SCSI can
then use it simply via device_put_process_context().
[...]
Since this is planned for post 2.6.16, we have plenty of time to argue
about it.

This is probably an idiotic question, but if there's something in the
scsi release handler can't be called in non-process context, why can't
scsi queue up the release processing via the work API itself, rather
than having to have this additional code and complexity for everyone?

Moreover, why are SCSI release handlers called in non-process context in the first place? IMO the fix should be to make sure that SCSI release handlers are always called from process context --- by the respective layers which manage physical devices, i.e. one or more layers beneath SCSI core.
--
Stefan Richter