Re: Problems with MSI-X on ia64

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 03:44:04 EST

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:58:29PM -0800, Grant Grundler wrote:

> The root cause is the use of u32 to describe a PCI resource "start".
> phys_addr needs to be "unsigned long". More details in Log entry
> below.

That won't always suffice.

I have machines at work that will place some PCI resources above the
4GB boundary even when booting in '32-bit OS' mode (there is a BIOS
option for this but no matter the setting some resources always end up
above 4GB). I've heard from others they've also been hit by this
(with 64-bit kernels it's fine). I guess it could be argued that it's
a BIOS bug, I'm not entirely sure what to thing, Windows seems to
deal with it.