Re: (pspace,pid) vs true pid virtualization

From: Hubertus Franke
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 08:38:06 EST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 05:16:06AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

Herbert Poetzl <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:57:26AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

As for that. When I mad that suggestion to Herbert Poetzl his only concern was that a smart init might be too heavy weight for lightweight vserver. Generally I like the idea.

well, may I remind that this solution would require _two_
init processes for each guest, which could easily make up
300-400 unnecessary processes in a lightweight server
setup?

I take it seriously enough that I remembered the concern,
and I think it is legitimate. Figuring out how to safely
set the policy is a challenge. That is something a
user space daemon trivially gets right.

The kernel side of a process is about 10K if the user space
side was also lightweight we could have the entire
per process cost in the 30K range. 30K*400 = 12000K = 12M.

that's something I'm not so worried about, but a statically
compiled userspace process with 20K sounds unusual in the
time of 2M *libcs :)

That is significant but we are still cheap enough that it
isn't necessarily a show stopper.

I think the cost was only one extra process, for the case where you
have fakeinit now it would be init, for other cases it would be a
daemon that gets setup when you initialize the vserver.

Eric, Herbert.. why do we need an extra process in each and every
pspace.

Why not have single global pspace-init daemon that acts as the reaper
for all pspace-top processes.
Its only at the boundaries of pspaces and with signals were we
seem to have trouble.

The "pspace-init" reaps the signal of all its sub-pspace's top processes
and then "forwards" the signal to processes actually waiting.
Kind of an interposer.
Same way from the other side.

You allocate a pid on behalf of the process you spawn in your pidspace.
You mark in the pid hash of the lookup that this is merely a proxy
and you forward that to the pspace-init where you have a separate lookup
with <pspace-caller,pspace,pid>.

Same with signals, once the signal is reaped by pspace-init and its looked
up who is the parent pspace and the pid in there, we forward it..

Is something like that workable, idiotic (be kind), too intrusive ?

-- Hubertus

well, depends, currently we do not need a parent to handle
the guest, so there is _no_ waiting process in the light-
weight case either, which makes that two processes for each
guest, no?

anyway, I'm not strictly against having an init process
inside a guest, as long as it is not an essential part
of the overall design, because that would make it much
harder to rip it out later :)

best,
Herbert