oops during boot of 2.6.16-rc3-git7 on AMD64

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 19:15:07 EST

Hi,

vanilla 2.6.16-rc3-git7 gives me the following oops during boot (most
of the time while mounting all filesystems) on my amd64 machine:

(hand-written, no serial interface available)
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000008
rip: run_timer_softirq+322
process udev
Call trace:
__do_softirq+68
call_softirq+30
do_softirq+46
do_IRQ+61
ret_from_intr+0
EOI

Since the oops happens in an interrupt every time I got it, it
locked the machine hard with a kernel panic message.

The same machine runs fine with 2.6.15-git1 and previous kernels.
switch:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 31
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 512 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow lahf_lm
bogomips : 2012.44
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

Modules loaded:
cls_u32 sch_htb ipt_physdev iptable_filter ip_tables ebtable_filter
ebt_arpreply ebt_arp ebt_ip ebtable_nat ebtables bridge cpufreq_userspace
powernow_k8 freq_table thermal processor fan button battery ac ipv6
floppy snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss twofish cryptoloop edd joydev st sr_mod
video1394 raw1394 capability commoncap sg ohci1394 ieee1394 sky2 ehci_hcd
snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_bus snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore
snd_page_alloc forcedeth ohci_hcd usbcore parport_pc lp parport reiserfs
ide_cd cdrom ide_disk dm_snapshot dm_mod sata_sil sata_nv libata amd74xx
ide_core sd_mod scsi_mod

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--