Re: C/H/S from user space

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 11:20:15 EST

Marcin Dalecki wrote:
It has been already tried years ago to eliminate this ridicle. The answer to your
question is put bluntly: It's like that, because some kernel "prima ballerinas",
whose names "relate to alternating current", will get at you with mock up somke
and mirror woodo examples where it's supposed to be sooo required.

I myself have been trying to show why it is required. Unless I am wrong about the msdos MBR code passing the CHS partition start values directly to int 13 rather than computing them based on the LBA in the MBR and the currently reported geometry from the bios, then fdisk does require the correct bios geometry to maintain compatibility with msdos/windows.

My original point was that if it is required ( and since it is still in the kernel, that seems to be the case ) then at least make sure it is _correct_. Whether it is needed but wrong, or if it is simply not needed, then it is silly to keep geometry in the kernel.