Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: D. Hazelton
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 20:07:32 EST

On Saturday 18 February 2006 08:47, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >Martin Mares <mj@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >>Hello!

> >>I bet that it would take less time to implement this support than what
> >>you spend here by arguing and trying to prove you are the only sane
> >>person in the world. Unsuccessfully, of course.
> >
> >If memory serves me correctly, the current model is the 3rd incompatible
> > one offerend within less than 5 years.
>
> With that I agree. Not only does the interface change, the details
> within a given interface must change.

At this point I seem to have stumbled across a document that has what Joerg
might be looking for Linux to introduce. It's available at t10.org and is a
translation layer specification for OS's to use if they want to access ATA
devices like SCSI ones.

Seems to me this wouldn't be a good or bad thing to add to the kernel. The
problem is that introducing the layer and thereby unifying the SCSI and ATA
busses into one namespace is a big task. I know I couldn't manage it, and
don't think there are any people willing to take it on.

Introducing it would provide a standard interface, however.

DRH