Re: pc keyboard driver spewing "Unknown key released"

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 16:59:58 EST

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 04:02:40PM -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

> With 2.6.16-rc4 on my laptop, I seem to be getting a lot of the following
> spewed onto the console. It's not reproducible on demand, but seems to be
> related to multi-key press/release sequences when banging away a bit too
> quickly...
>
> -ben
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7f on isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 7f <keycode>' to make it known.

Interesting. This is the '0xff' code sent by the keyboard (meaning "I'm
confused, someone pressed too many keys or is banging on me way too
quickly - I don't guarantee to send all keypresses or keyreleases
anymore") and is interpreted incorrectly by atkbd.c.

It should spew a different message ("Too many keys pressed") to your
console.

If you can, please enable debugging for i8042, using

echo -n 1 > /sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug

then try to reproduce it, and send your 'dmesg' to me.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs