Re: Missing file

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 18:43:12 EST

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 12:08 -0500, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> Linux-2.6.15.4 fails to contain the file:
> >> /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.4/drivers/pci/devlist.h
> >>
> >> This contains product NAMES used to identity various PCI
> >> devices when they are installed. What replaces this file?
> >>
> >> The file existed up until at least linux-2.6.13.4 and
> >> should not have been removed just because some audit
> >> may have determined that it's "not in use." It is in
> >> use by vendors which need to convert "Computerese" to
> >> "Customer readable" stuff.
> >

> > actually an entirely different file is used for that;
> > /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
> >
> > which comes from the pci id repo on sourceforge (same as the file you
> > want to look at). Distributions at least tend to update pci.ids file
> > more frequent than the kernel updated devlist.h...
>
> Thanks. Changes like that make tons of work! Great, there will
> always be something for us to do. Now all I have to do is
> modify a tool to be Linux version-specific so I get the right
> ASCII put into driver(s). The drivers don't run in anything
> that has a shell or anything like that. They need to "know"
> the vendor-name of some interface chips so the name(s) were
> compiled in, based upon OS headers.

If you actually want a "devlist.h" file, 2.6.11 has a program
gen-devlist.c that generates it (and "classlist.h") from pci.ids. The
kernel source hasn't come with a devlist.h file since before the dawn of
time (i.e., the beginning of the git repository). The only recent change
is not including a pci.ids or generating a devlist.h from it.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*