Re: remap_file_pages - Bug with _PAGE_PROTNONE - is it used incurrent kernels?

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 08:06:51 EST

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Blaisorblade wrote:

> I've been hitting a bug on a patch I'm working on and have considered (and
> more or less tested with good results) doing this change:
>
> -#define pte_present(x) ((x).pte_low & (_PAGE_PRESENT | _PAGE_PROTNONE))
> +#define pte_present(x) ((x).pte_low & (_PAGE_PRESENT))
>
> (and the corresponding thing on other architecture).
>
> In general, the question is whether __P000 and __S000 in protection_map are
> ever used except for MAP_POPULATE, and even then if they work well.
>
> I'm seeking for objections to this change and/or anything I'm missing.

Objection, your honor.

> This bug showed up while porting remap_file_pages protection support to
> 2.6.16-rc3. It always existed but couldn't trigger before the PageReserved
> changes.
>
> Consider a _PAGE_PROTNONE pte, which has then pte_pfn(pte) == 0 (with
> remap_file_pages you need them to exist). Obviously pte_pfn(pte) on such a PTE
> doesn't make sense, but since pte_present(pte) gives true the code doesn't
> know that.

I didn't fully understand you there, but I think you've got it the wrong
way round: _PAGE_PROTNONE is included in the pte_present() test precisely
because there is a valid page there, pfn is set (it might be pfn 0, yes,
but much more likely to be pfn non-0).

I've never used PROT_NONE myself (beyond testing), but I think the
traditional way it's used is this: mmap(,,PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,,,),
initialize the pages of that mapping, then mprotect(,,PROT_NONE) -
which retains all those pages but make them generate SIGSEGVs - so
the app can detect accesses and decide if it wants to do something
special with them, other than the obvious mprotect(,,PROT_READ) or
whatever.

PROT_NONE gives you a way of holding the page present (unlike munmap),
yet failing access. And since those pages remain present, they do
need to be freed later when you get to zap_pte_range. They are
normal pages, but user access to them has been restricted.

Hugh