Re: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 13:29:54 EST

David Brownell wrote:
On Monday 20 February 2006 8:07 am, Phillip Susi wrote:
And this is exactly how non USB hardware has behaved for eons, and it hasn't been a problem.

How many billions of years exactly? :)

<G>

Of course it sometimes _has_ been a problem. Repeating your claim
doesn't make it true. And the user model of USB was certainly so
those problems could be _prevented_ rather than continued forever
into new generations of hardware.

But it hasn't been prevented, just changed into a less destructive, but more prevelant problem. If you want to try to solve the problem then it should be solved in such a way that it does not cause other problems ( breaking mounts when you suspend ) and the solution should be generalized to all disks rather than just USB.

The fact that MS-DOS did something does not make it a good idea.

This is LKML. Pointing out when patches are overdue
can't realistically be taken as a flame; it's a
standard way of moving beyond discussion to action.
(Or helping someone self-educate about issues they
won't see until they, too, look more deeply ...)

I think you got the thread confused. The flame was:

>>> changing all that stuff, he also needs stop being a
>>> member of the "never submitted a USB patch" club.

However, responding to a "request for patch" in that
way certainly does come across as a flame.