Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 19:35:27 EST

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> We. Don't. Do. That.
>
> Please either restore the old events so we can have a 6-12 month transition
> period or revert the patch.

I agree.

This stupid argument of "HAL is part of the kernel, so we can break it" is
_bogus_.

The fact is, if changing the kernel breaks user-space, it's a regression.
IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER IT'S IN /sbin/hotplug OR ANYTHING ELSE. If it
was installed by a distribution, it's user-space. If it got installed by
"vmlinux", it's the kernel.

The only piece of user-space code we ship with the kernel is the system
call trampoline etc that the kernel sets up. THOSE interfaces we can
really change, because it changes with the kernel.

Linus