Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 20:08:04 EST

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The only piece of user-space code we ship with the kernel is the system
> call trampoline etc that the kernel sets up. THOSE interfaces we can
> really change, because it changes with the kernel.

Side note: if people want to, we could have other "trampolines" like that,
so that we could have more user-level code that gets distributed with the
kernel. It doesn't have to be something that gets mapped into every binary
either: we could - if we wanted to - have things like shared libraries or
helper shell scripts or whatever that we expose in /sys/shlib/ that are
kernel-version dependent.

Then we could perhaps change more things, just because we could change the
wrappers that actually use them together with the kernel.

To some degree, /initrd was supposed to do things like that, and in
theory, it still could. However, realistically, 99% of any /initrd is more
about the distribution than the kernel, so right now we have to count
/initrd as a distribution thing, not a kernel thing.

Linus