Re: [2.6 patch] make INPUT a bool

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 06:59:51 EST

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:10:01AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:44:38AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > That's not a good solution since EMBEDDED is really only about
> > > additional space savings - even if you are an "expert", there's no
> > > reason to enable EMBEDDED when building a kernel for systems
> > > with > 50 MB RAM.
> >
> > well, not sure everybody kows that ...
> >
> > config X86_P4_CLOCKMOD
> > depends on EMBEDDED
>
> This one is an x86_64 only issue, and yes, it's wrong.
>
> > config VT_CONSOLE
> > bool "Support for console on virtual terminal" if EMBEDDED
>
> Looks OK.
>
> > config VGA_CONSOLE
> > bool "VGA text console" if EMBEDDED
>
> Looks OK.
>
> > config DNOTIFY
> > bool "Dnotify support" if EMBEDDED
>
> Looks OK.
>
> > config DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE
> > bool "Verbose BUG() reporting (adds 70K)" if DEBUG_KERNEL && EMBEDDED
>
> Looks OK.
>
> > but, the patch was just considered a starting point
> > so that folks would know _what_ EMBEDDED is currently
> > used for ...
>
> Except for the X86_P4_CLOCKMOD case, all of your examples are correct
> usages of EMBEDDED.

ahem, well, then I'm definitely doing something
wrong when I disable the VGA console on my 2GB
servers, as "there's no reason to enable EMBEDDED
when building a kernel for systems with > 50 MB RAM"

sorry, I kind of disagree here, this might be useful
for embedded systems, but it is definitely useful
for other systems as well ... at least I do not like
the 'assumption' that every system with >50MB has
to have a VGA console ...

I agree that the 0815 distro will not need this and
it can be hidden behind some option ...

best,
Herbert