Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 01:40:35 EST

On Wed, Feb 22 2006, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:45:08PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > I totally agree. Distros are changing into two different groups these
> > > days:
> > > - everything tied together and intregrated nicely for a specific
> > > kernel version, userspace tool versions, etc.
> > > - flexible and works with multiple kernel versions, different
> > > userspace tools, etc.
> > >
> > > Distros in the first category are the "enterprise" releases (RHEL, SLES,
> > > etc.), as well as some consumer oriented distros (SuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora
> > > possibly.)
> > >
> > > More flexible distros that handle different kernel versions are Gentoo,
> > > Debian, and probably Fedora.
> > >
> > > And this is a natural progression as people try to provide a more
> > > complete "solution" for users.
> > >
> > > When people to complain that they can't run a "kernel-of-the-day" on
> > > their "enterprise" distro, they are not realizing that that distro was
> > > just not developed to support that kind of thing at all.
> >
> > I have to disagree somewhat violently to that statement, I'm afraid :-)
> > At least for me, it's pretty much a requirement that I can put eg
> > 2.6.18-rc2 on an enterprise install. It's a must to debug problems -
> > both ways, actually, testing both a new rc kernel on that enterprise
> > distro but also putting a vanilla kernel on the enterprise distro to
> > test something that fails with the distro kernel.
>
> I agree that is is a _good_ thing that us kernel developers can do this,
> and that it isn't impossible (I do the same thing.) But we also aren't
> worrying about the fact that our sound stopped working, or that the
> desktop icons don't show up anymore if we plug in a new device. We are
> a very special case.

Definitely, when I built such a kernel I usually don't include sound or
usb :-)

> For any "user", they should not ever count on using a different kernel
> than what was shipped with the system (or updates) for an "enterprise"
> distro. There are just too many little things that easily go wrong.

Sure, they move outside the supported zone very quickly if they do that.
But that's a different thing from the system actually not booting /
working with a vanilla kernel.

> > I'd absolutely hate if we got into a situation where you couldn't just
> > put a new vanilla kernel on SLESx. Calling it a complete solution to
> > just sounds like an excuse for breaking things that we don't have to.
> > Please lets not make things so fragile!
>
> We are trying, but as everyone is so quick to point out, we (myself
> included) mess up at times :)

Mistakes happen for everybody, I think it's the intentional breakage
that people are yelling about :-)

--
Jens Axboe