Re: non-PCI based libata-SATA driver

From: Deven Balani
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 05:59:05 EST

> non-PCI works quite easily under 2.6.x, because libata core uses the
> generic DMA mapping lib. It's already confirmed to work on at least one
> other ARM embedded chipset (sorry can't give more detail).
Thanks a lot for the valuable info.

> 2.4.x is a lot of work to do non-PCI, largely because you have to deal
> with the lack of a generic DMA interface. 2.4.x libata is hardcoded to
> use PCI DMA mapping.
At the back of my mind, i'm still exploring on how much work will be
required to do non-PCI libata-SATA in 2.4.x.
{I mean the changes that need to be done in kernel-2.4.23 onwards to
support non-PCI libATA-SATA. By some means, I have access to
physically contiguous memory blocks which can be used to do
DMA-ScatterGather.}

A pointer from your side will help me in hitting the nail right,
otherwise I'll be hurting myself a lot later on :)

Thanks a lot once again.

Deven