Re: [Patch 3/3] prepopulate/cache cleared pages

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 08:18:57 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Thursday 23 February 2006 13:41, Ingo Molnar wrote:

What Arjan did is quite nifty, as it moves the page clearing out from under the mmap_sem-held critical section.

So that was the point not the rescheduling under lock? Or both?

BTW since it touches your area of work you could comment what
you think about not using voluntary preempt points for fast sleep locks
like I later proposed.

How that is achieved is really secondary, it's pretty clear that it could be done in some nicer way.

Great we agree then.

I'm worried about the situation where we allocate but don't use the
new page: it blows quite a bit of cache. Then, when we do get around
to using it, it will be cold(er).

Good to see someone trying to improve this area, though.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.