Re: sys_mmap2 on different architectures

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 12:45:17 EST

Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:43:47PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:

Aha, that part I didn't catch. Thanks for the clarification
Ben.

I wonder why we did things that way with a fixed shift...

Without that trick, we'd have needed an extra parameter for the syscall on x86, which is already at the maximum number of registers with 6 arguments. This was easier than changing the syscall ABI. =-)

Well, there is always the trick of making it a pointer. It was needed for pselect() anyway. A real sys_mmap64 would definitely have been cleaner, and will be needed to deal with the 16 TB barrier anyway :)

I personally think the S390 people had the right idea... once you run out of registers, just make it a defined part of the ABI that we pass in a single pointer to all the arguments.

-hpa