Re: Missing piece from as659

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 12:54:08 EST

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Alan, you didn't cc the pci mailing list on the original patch.
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0602.2/2673.html

This seems to be a blind spot of mine. Yours is the second complaint in
two days about patches I failed to CC to the appropriate
maintainer/mailing-list...

> You only fix pci_get_subsys; pci_get_class has the same bug.

Please submit a similar bugfix for pci_get_class, then. I just noticed
the log messages from pci_get_subsys because that's the routine that
happened to run on the machine I was testing.

> If it is a bug, of course. It's not clear to me whether it's permissible
> to call pci_dev_put under a spinlock or not. That boils down to whether
> kobject ->release methods can sleep or not. That isn't documented in
> Documentation/kobject.txt and I rather think it should be.

It is a bug, but it has been ignored up until recently. Within the last
month or two, Greg added a might_sleep() call to put_device(). It
wouldn't hurt to do the same thing to kobject_put(), or maybe just
kobject_release().

Alan Stern