Re: ~5x greater CPU load for a networked application when using 2.6.15-rt15-smpvs. 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4

From: Gautam H Thaker
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:23:50 EST

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:55:56PM -0500, Gautam H Thaker wrote:
>
>>The real-time patches at the URL below do a great job of endowing Linux with
>>real-time capabilities.
>>
>>http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
>

> Gautam,
>
> #1) Can you publish the code you used in your tests?

This may not be easy for me but I will try to get corp. approval(s).
Basically, the process that is, at least according to "top", showing ~5x
increased CPU usage is receiving very short UDP packets over a gigabit
interface at the rate of about 38,000 per second. UDP packets are small and
according to "/sbin/ifconfig" there are no errors, drops, overruns, frame or
carrier errors or collisions. (it is an isolated network of 20 PC3000s (3 GH
Xeon processors) at www.emulab.net.

> #2) Can you post your .config file? In particular, did you have any
> of the latency measurement options or other debugging options?

The config file I had used to build the "RT" kernel can be found at:

http://www.atl.external.lmco.com/projects/QoS/config.2.6.15-rt15-smp

I had tried to have all debug options off

> Regards,
>
> - Ted

Gautam

--

Gautam H. Thaker
Distributed Processing Lab; Lockheed Martin Adv. Tech. Labs