Re: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 19:13:47 EST

On So 25-02-06 00:53:21, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Well, that would be a long-run solution. However, until it's fixed we can
> > > use a workaround IMHO. ;-)
> >
> > Isn't trying to free as much memory as you can the wrong solution anyway? I
> > mean, that only means that the poor system has more pages to fault back in at
> > resume time, before the user can even begin to think about doing anything
> > useful. You might be able to say "Every machine that suspend2 works on,
> > swsusp works on", but the later will be a pretty sad definition of works!
>
> We are trying to catch a bug here. suspend2 or not, it is a bug and it
> should be fixed (or at least understood).
>
> [Also please try to tone down your messages. Your suspend2 may be more
> user-friendly, you do not want to start that flamewar again, do you?
> Saying "don't bother fixing that" is not nice thing to do.]

Heh, I guess I should apologize for being offtopic on suspend2 mailing
list... this was not about suspend2 any more..

I guess we should drop suspend2 and this huge cc list from future
discussion. (And fix subject.)

Anyway, Rafael, do you think you could commit your encryption patches?
Ready or not, bugs can be fixed later :-). [I'd like to do some work
based on them; I think I figured out easy way to setup suspend so that
password is needed only during resume...]
Pavel
--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...