Re: [patch] x86: clean up early_printk output

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 21:06:26 EST

Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> early_printk() starts output on the second screen line and doesn't
> clear the rest of the line when it hits a newline char. When there
> is already a BIOS message there, it becomes hard to read. Change
> this so it starts on the first line and clears to EOL upon hitting
> newline.

This conflicts in intent with Stas's patch:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc4/2.6.16-rc4-mm2/broken-out/x86-early-printk-handling-fixes.patch

that patch solves the same problem, and I think in a slightly better way:
at least there's a chance that some of those (potentially useful)
bootloader messages are still visible when the kernel goes tits up.

Of course, the best fix would be to start the kernel messages at the next
line after the bootloader, but I guess that info would be hard to locate.