Re: creating live virtual files by concatenation

From: Peter Foldiak
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 17:28:33 EST

Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

I can imagine quite a mess if I open a file that is really a view of
several files and then start manipulating text in it across "actual
file" boundaries that could blow up easily.

Well, I meant that file to be read-only. Just a quick concatentated view
for reading.

The quick hack might be useful in certain situations. But the really interesting way to do it would be not to distinguish beween "actual" and "non-actual" files. All of them should be equally "actual", it is just that containment (possibly even overlap) would be allowed. The tree structure used by a file system such as Reiser4 would make this very efficient with each "sub-file" corresponding to a key-range. Writing a chapter should change the book that the chapter is part of. That is what would make it really valuable. Of course it would have all sorts of implications (e.g. for metadata for each part) that need to be thought about, but it could be done properly, I think. Peter