Re: [slightly OT] dvdrecord 0.3.1 -- and yes, dev=/dev/cdrom works;)

From: Sam Vilain
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 18:57:50 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
And what about DVD-RAM drives? Any plans to support those?
My [limited] understanding of DVD-RAM drives was that they are basically removable block devices... you wouldn't need a recording program for that, you'd use it like a floppy.
Same goes for DVD+RW. One may want to use it in conjunction with pktcdvd for aligning and command queueing/iosched reasons.

Can I mount a friendly challenge to that idea?

The reason being, I've got a DVD writer that supports DVD-RAM, and because I was curious I bought one. The media is *hard sectored*. That is, you look at the underneath and you see a series of concentric dots, each the same angular distance from each other. I had presumed that these are to give the drive something big to key its read/write operations on. Nice, except I don't think the media is compatible with a regular DVD drive.

DVD+RW, on the other hand, I just thought was a different surface technology (more expensive, higher quality) than DVD-RW. There is nothing to help with the lead-in/lead-out problem that is why you have several megabytes of lead-in and lead-out per session on a multi-session disc.

But maybe I'm wrong here... if I could use a DVD+RW like a DVD-RAM I'd be very happy indeed.

Sam.