Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 15:20:06 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, D. Hazelton wrote:

Well, in this case I'm actually trying to work with Joerg to produce a patch that unifies the ATAPI and SCSI busses inside his program.

This patch already exists, see:
<http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0602.0/1103.html>

It's a proof of concept and needs to be polished (I'll look into that
again in March).

Only it still probes all /dev/hd and /dev/sg and /dev/pg in a dumb way,
rather than looking at sysfs or reading through /dev/.

I've seen the "MRW" stuff in some of the specs, but had to check the net to find out what it was. MRW is the Mt. Rainier format - basic support was added by Jens back in 2.4.19 according to the archives. (http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0203.2/1214.html)

I'm not positive, but the "Can Read RAM" line might refer to DVD-RAM type discs

That's probably not it, since there's a separate DVD-RAM line here:

CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name: hdd hdc sr0
drive speed: 40 48 1
drive # of slots: 1 1 1
Can close tray: 1 1 1
Can open tray: 1 1 1
Can lock tray: 1 1 1
Can change speed: 1 1 0
Can select disk: 0 0 0
Can read multisession: 1 1 1
Can read MCN: 1 1 1
Reports media changed: 1 1 1
Can play audio: 1 1 1
Can write CD-R: 1 1 0
Can write CD-RW: 1 1 0
Can read DVD: 0 1 0
Can write DVD-R: 0 1 0
Can write DVD-RAM: 0 1 0
Can read MRW: 1 1 1
Can write MRW: 1 1 1
Can write RAM: 1 1 1

hdd = Plextor PX-W4824TA
hdc = NEC ND-4550A
sr0 = Plextor PX-32TS

Other than my 2.6.15 not producing those last three lines, looks good.
The names are those in /sys, which of course many distros change in udev
to make things hard for the user. Hard t write an app portably to cope
with /dev/scd0, /dev/sr0, /dev/cdroms/sr0, etc.

I am NOT suggesting changing a stable interface, but this really should
be in /sys I would think. It would be nice to have the major/minor and
model info, so programs could find the "better" named in /dev or just
mknod their own.

(Now NEC only needs to teach their drives to be more error tolerant when
reading and adjust their read speed to the actual sustained transfer
rate as Toshiba drives have been doing for ages...)

This would appear to be almost all the user needs to at least find the
devices. I don't know why no one mentioned it several years ago.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)