Re: Status of X86_P4_CLOCKMOD?

From: Wes Felter
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 16:17:06 EST

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

If someone has done measurements I'd be interested to
know the numbers about the actual power savings which
can be achieved by using P4 clock mod. I don't expect
it to be much, but I bet it's more than 1W.

Clock modulation can reduce power by 40W on a 3.6GHz Xeon when the system is running a high-power application (e.g. Linpack). (It also reduces performance by a factor of 6-10). Clock modulation saves no power at all during idle.

Wes Felter - wesley@xxxxxxxxxx