Re: what's a platform device?

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 17:23:45 EST

This makes sense, but you seem to be talking about hierarchy more the
functionality. I agree in your description of hierarchy.

I was looking at it from a functional point of view, maybe more from
the device view then from the bus. I need a struct device type that
contains resources, a name, an id. I'll do matching based on name.
From a functional point of view platform does all this.

Based on your description would you say that a platform_device's
parent device should always be platform_bus? [I'm getting at the fact
that we allow pdev->dev.parent to be set by the caller of
platform_device_add].

Hmm, as I think about this further, I think that its more coincidence
that the functionality for the "kumar" bus is equivalent to that of
the "platform" bus.

What about a new bus_type that uses all the sematics of the platform_bus.
Doing someting like the following which would allow the caller to specify
their own bus_type.

I'm just trying to avoid duplicating alot of code that already exists in
base/platform.c

I'm ok with this patch, Russell?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114072367307531&w=2

Russell, comments?