Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Sam Vilain
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 19:42:23 EST

D. Hazelton wrote:
This value is also reported by the drive. I don't know about DVD drives,
but for CD drives it is a multiplier. 1x == 256K/sec transfer off the
disc [...]
For CDs, 1x is actually 150 KByte/sec.
Well, I've been known to be wrong before, and this number was more based on the fact that I once measured a sustained transfer rate of 1M/sec on a 4x CDROM

Think about audio. Single speed = 75 frames of 2352 bytes per second, or 176kB/s. However with data tracks you only get 2k per frame/sector, so that works out to be 153kB/s.

Due to the CLV nature of CD-ROMs you may find the drive is faster reading some parts of the disc than others.

According to WikiPedia, the DVD speed rating is almost 9 times that of
CD speeds. I.e., 1x DVD is about 1.32 MByte/sec.
This was based on DVDx16 == CDx48 - I'm guessing someone is doing some monkey work if a DVD is 9x a CD and a 16x DVD can't hit that mystical 52x of my favorite CDRW drive in pure CD read mode.

You can do a similar calculation with DVDs. While I can't find a reference for the maximum DVD total bitrate of ~10Mbit/s, this at 1.25 MByte/s this roughly agrees with the 1.32 quoted.

Sam.