Re: sg regression in 2.6.16-rc5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 13:40:27 EST

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > What is the reason to break user-space applications like this?
> >
> > Did you read the whole thread? It was a low-level SCSI driver issue, where
> > nothing broke user space, but the command was just fed to the drive
> > differently, which then hit a limit in the driver.
>
> Will this break major applications like CD/DVD rippers,
> DVD players, etc.. which read LARGE blocks at a time?
>
> If not, then good!

I wouldn't expect it to. Most people use ATA for that, and it tends to
have lower limits than most SCSI HBA's (well, at least the old PATA), so
the change - if any - should at most change some of the sg.c limits to be
no less than what SG_IO has had on ATA forever.

Not that I expect people to have a SCSI CD/DVD drive anyway in this day
and age, so the sg.c changes probably won't show up at all.

The problem that was reported was apparently for a rather special use.

Linus