Re: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool

From: James C. Georgas
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 16:29:24 EST

On Thu, 2006-02-03 at 23:32 -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:14:38 -0500 "James C. Georgas" <jgeorgas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-03 at 21:32 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > We do not have to export symbols we don't want to export to modules but
> > > needed by CONFIG_UNIX.
> >
> > Sorry, I must just be dense, or something.
> >
> > Is not the only difference between a modular driver and a built in
> > driver supposed to be the initialization and cleanup functions?
> >
> > I don't see why you would have to expose any additional symbols, over
> > and above the existing required symbols, to load your module.
>
> af_unix (IE: CONFIG_UNIX) currently uses the symbol get_max_files. It
> is the only module that uses that symbol, and that symbol probably should
> not be exported as it's kind of an internal API. Therefore if we mandate
> that CONFIG_UNIX != m, then that symbol may be properly unexported and
> made private, because nothing modular would use it. Does that clear
> things up?

Yes, I think I understand.

However, even if you don't export the symbol, I don't see how you can
make it private (i.e. static declaration) to file_table.c, since it has
to remain extern, in order to be visible to af_unix.c.

> P.S.: Please don't remove people from the CC list if you expect them to
> respond to your message (Adrian Bunk readded to CC).

Whoops. I should've hit "reply to all" instead of just hitting "reply".
Thanks. I also somehow got this post split off from the main thread.
I've been responding there.