Re: Debian Installer - boot floppies

From: Rogério Brito
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 21:02:45 EST

On Mar 05 2006, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> sven.luther@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I guess we are using udev, but with a devfs-like naming scheme on
> >top, right ? I strongly believe that swim3.ko is not hotplug
> >friendly, or that udev has some trouble with builtin modules, but i
> >would go for the first case.
>
> udev handles built-in drivers without problems, but it can create
> devices only for drivers which use the 2.6 driver core.

Nice to know that.

> If they have not been fixed yet then they are unmaintained or very
> close to this, and it's about time they are fixed or support is
> dropped.

It would be a real pitty to see swim3 dropped from the kernel. Speaking
as a mere user here, that's one of the main ways that I get information
into and from the old PowerMac 9500 that I have here.

And, I don't know if this has been reported earlier, but using mtools
(say, mcopy and friends) makes the drive become unusable (I don't
remember the messages literally here, because I'm not at the front of
the computer, but I can serve as a guinea pig if needed---despite my
lack of free time).

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito