Re: [OT] inotify hack for locate

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 17:20:34 EST

On Po 06-03-06 22:08:28, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> writes:

> >> Running updatedb only if AC powered shouldn't be too difficult.
> >
> > That makes locate useless on some machines. I have sharp zaurus C3000
> > here... It is either powered on *or* connected on AC, but very rarely
> > connected to ac while turned on. Well, its power plug located at weird
> > place and old software version that prevents charging while turned on
> > is contributory factor, but...
>
> OK, although that surely must be an exception. Most laptops run
> happily with AC connected, and the current power source is easily
> obtained from some file in /proc that I've forgotten the name of.

This is really small machine. Yes, it is an exception...

..and you could modify cron to know about AC power. Something like "do
every day at 4 am if you are on AC power; delay it if you are on DC
power, but for no more than 3 days"... should do the trick.

Actually that modification to cron would be probably useful for
non-updatedb stuff, too....
Pavel
--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...