Re: Kernel panic on PC with broken hard drive, after DMA errors

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 23:02:42 EST

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
My laptop hard drive recently died (or is in the process of dying).
HP wanted me to do some more tests before sending me a replacement, so
I tried booting Linux again today. I got lots of DMA errors, which
was really to be expected, but then I got a kernel panic. While I'd
not blame the kernel when a panic occurs with broken RAM or CPU, I'm
sure sure the kernel should panic just because of a broken IDE drive.

I posted a picture of the panic at http://cyrius.com/tmp/ide_panic.jpg
Is this something that can be fixed or is my hardware really so broken
that the kernel cannot deal with it?

Probably is a genuine bug. These kinds of reports have come up a few times recently as I recall - it seems some of the error handling in the drivers/ide code isn't quite so robust..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx