Re: filldir[64] oddness

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 20:38:56 EST

On Mar 9, 2006, at 12:02:22, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 04:40 +0000, Al Viro wrote:
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:32:04PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
I think coverity is being trigger happy in this case :-)

If that's coverity, I'm very disappointed and more than a little suspicious about the quality of their results.

About half of the ~50 reports I've looked at so far in their database have been false positives. In most of those cases, it's not obvious how a checker might have gotten them right instead, though.

Yeah, IMHO it's not really worth optimizing for the obscure and oddly- defined cases unless you can actually find valid places where that code comes up understandably. In this particular case, the Coverity checker is indirectly pointing out that the code is confusing to the reader and could inadvertently be massively broken by changing the type of d_name.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett