Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 13:28:08 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
The interface we propose we believe is more powerful, and more conducive to performance optimizations while providing significant advantages - most specifically, a single binary image that is properly virtualizable on multiple hypervisors and capable of running on native hardware.

that is mostly an advantage in the binary would though.. less so in the
open source world.

It is an advantage for everyone. It cuts support and certification costs for Linux distributors, software vendors, makes debugging and development easier, and gives hypervisors room to grow while maintaining binary compatibility with already released kernels.

Zach