Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linuxvirtualization interface proposal

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 13:40:59 EST

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:30 -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >> The interface we propose we
> >> believe is more powerful, and more conducive to performance
> >> optimizations while providing significant advantages - most
> >> specifically, a single binary image that is properly virtualizable on
> >> multiple hypervisors and capable of running on native hardware.
> >>

> > that is mostly an advantage in the binary would though.. less so in the
> > open source world.
> >

> It is an advantage for everyone. It cuts support and certification
> costs for Linux distributors,

that I'll buy
> software vendors,

that I'll buy a lot less except those with kernel modules (which is
evil ;)
> makes debugging and
> development easier,

that I don't buy; a fixed interface tends to make debugging harder not
easier since you can't change it to add more information

> and gives hypervisors room to grow while maintaining
> binary compatibility with already released kernels.

that I buy for binary only hypervisors. But in an open source world I'll
buy this a LOT less as being relevant.