Re: question: pid space semantics.

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 17:38:03 EST

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:43:38AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> To retain any part of the existing unix process management
> we need some processes that show up in multiple pid spaces.

hmm ... not sure about that, what 'we' need is a way
to move between pid spaces and to control processes
in a child space from the parent process ...

nevertheless I don't think we have a problem with
schizophrenic processes if they have a somewhat sane
*G* interface/view into both spaces ...

> To allow for migration it must be possible for the pids in
> those pid spaces to be different.

I take that as migration of a 'container' from one
system to another, not as 'migration' between spaces

I don't understand what you mean here, please elaborate

> It is undesirable in the normal case of affairs to allocate more
> than one pid per process.
>
> Given the small range of pid values these constraints make an
> efficient and general pid space solution challenging.
>
> The question:
> If we could add additional pid values in different pid spaces
> to a process with a syscall upon demand would that lead to an
> implementation everyone could use?

again, for what would I need a 'second' or 'third' pid
value for a process either on demand or permanent for
handling or migration?

> I assume most processes by default only have a pid value in
> a single pid space.
>
> The reason I ask is that I believe I know how to implement
> a cheap general mechanism for adding additional pids to a
> process.

I have the feeling this is going into a completely wrong
direction, what am I missing here?

TIA,
Herbert