Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

From: Joshua LeVasseur
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 19:03:09 EST

On Mar 15, 2006, at 21:02 , Andrew Morton wrote:

Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As part of our pre-virtualization work, we developed a virtualization
solution similar to VMI. We support Xen v2 and v3 with high
performance. We added support for the first generation of VMI to our
project, and are currently adding support for the latest VMI patch.
Our work is open source. We'll announce when we finish the VMI updates.

Who is "we" and what product are you referring to?

(I think an important part of this discussion is getting an understanding
of which virtualisation products (current or planned) could use a VMI).

Thanks.

This is a project at the University of Karlsruhe. The project web page is:
http://l4ka.org/projects/virtualization/afterburn/
and there you'll find documentation and source code. The source code supports our pre-virtualization project on L4 and Xen (and we have some nascent implementations for Linux-as-hypervisor and Windows-as- hypervisor). We automate the transformations to the Linux code, thus minimizing the number of manual modifications. Due to the similarities of our approach and VMI, our virtualization runtime supports VMI with some minor additions.

Joshua