Re: Warning - Maxtor SATA II and Nvidia nforce4

From: Sander
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 01:28:36 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote (ao):
> Ah, I see this made it to LKML :)

I'm not the OP. The Maxtor notice is a few months old already.

> Dax Kelson wrote:
> >Short version
> >==============
> >Nvidia Nforce4 chipset with Maxtor SATA II drives with certain firmware
> >revisions cause data corruption and system instability when under
> >moderate to heavy I/O load.
>
> I'm a bit suspicious of this.
>
> Looking at the link, there are three problem areas and two problem blame
> targets implied:
>
> Data corruption -> blame nvidia driver
> NCQ -> blame nvidia driver
> Detection -> blame maxtor firmware
>
> The first one likely applies to the Windows driver not Linux's sata_nv,
> and thus irrelevant here. The second one OBVIOUSLY applies only to
> Windows, since sata_nv (and libata itself) don't yet enable NCQ. The
> third one could potentially apply to Linux. Lastly, your mention of
> "nforce fake raid" almost certainly indicates Windows or proprietary
> drivers.
>
> Therefore, I ask:
> * are you reporting a only drive detection problem?
> * why are you reporting unrelated Windows problems to a Linux list?
> * if you are indeed reporting a problem on Linux, where is the kernel
> and driver version info, as requested in REPORTING-BUGS?
> * and can you provide such info *and reproduce the problems* without
> proprietary drivers loaded?
>
> Your email is just a list of highly general symptoms. Your link seems
> to indicate two NV driver bugs on Windows, and a Maxtor firmware upgrade
> for undescribed detection problems.
>
> My recommended action for users is:
> 1) Avoid Windows.
> 2) Don't panic.

Last december I requested new firmware for my drives. Maxtor called me
and asked if I did have any problems. I did not, but just wanted to fix
the problem before I would notice any.

The Maxtor guy then told me that harddisk firmware upgrades are best not
to be done if not needed, and asked what operating system I run (answer:
Linux). He said that the problems only exists with Windows, and that
Linux should be ok.

In fact, I have yet to see a problem with my sata Maxtor disks connected
to the onboard nForce4 controller. This supports Jeff Garziks story.

I do notice that the nForce4 controller most of the times fails to
detect some of the drives (seems random) on a reboot. A powerdown and
fresh boot lets the controller detect all disks again.

Sander

--
Humilis IT Services and Solutions
http://www.humilis.net