Re: can I bring Linux down by running "renice -20 cpu_intensive_process"?

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 17:48:50 EST

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>> A nice -20 SCHED_OTHER task is not realtime, only SCHED_FIFO and
>>> SCHED_RR.
>> Maybe extending sysrq+n to lower the priority of -20 tasks would be a
>> good idea.
>>
> If it runs before the keyboard thread it doesn't matter...

Of course not, but that's not generally the case.

> But why should this hang anything, when there should be enough i/o
> to get out of the user process. There's a good fix for this, don't
> give this guy root any more ;-)

Ever heard of bugs? Anyone developing a program can make a mistake.
If the program runs with realtime scheduling a bug that makes it enter
an infinite loop (or do something else that hogs the CPU) can be
difficult to find since it rather efficiently locks you out.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx