[ANN] Squashfs 3.0 released

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 19:43:29 EST

Hi,

Squashfs 3.0 has finally been released. Squashfs 3.0 is a major improvement to Squashfs, and it addresses most of the issues that that have been raised, particularly the 4GB filesystem and file limit. It can be obtained from the usual address http:// squashfs.sourceforge.net. There is still some work to be done, in particular NFS support which I'll add as soon as I get time. After this I'll consider resubmitting patches to the LKML.

From the changelog, the improvements are as follows:

1. Filesystems are no longer limited to 4 GB. In
theory 2^64 or 4 exabytes is now supported.

2. Files are no longer limited to 4 GB. In theory the maximum
file size is 4 exabytes.

3. Metadata (inode table and directory tables) are no longer
restricted to 16 Mbytes.

4. Hardlinks are now suppported.

5. Nlink counts are now supported.

6. Readdir now returns '.' and '..' entries.

7. Special support for files larger than 256 MB has been added to
the Squashfs kernel code for faster read access.

8. Inode numbers are now stored within the inode rather than being
computed from inode location on disk (this is not so much an
improvement, but a change forced by the previously listed
improvements).

Phillip Lougher