Re: Remapping pages mapped to userspace

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 20:09:58 EST

Bryan> Why would you not want accesses to explode? Exploding
Bryan> seems like the right behaviour to me, since there's no
Bryan> hardware for userspace to talk to any more.

Oh yeah... but getting rid of the mapping so userspace gets a segfault
might be a good idea too. However, leaving the old PCI mapping there
seems rather risky to me: I think it's entirely possible that accesses
to that area after the device is gone could trigger machine checks or
worse.

So what's the right way for a driver to get rid of a remap_pfn_range()
mapping into userspace?

- R.