Re: kernel cache mem bug(?)

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 03:06:42 EST

On 3/17/06, kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:41:02 +0100, kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx said:
> > > [X.] Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds:
> >
> > > Workaround: When we disable HyperThreading in BIOS, this
> > > problem goes away. We re-enabling HT, it comes back...
> >
> > Have you ruled out marginal memory, or overclocking/overheating?
>
> No overclocking done, no overheating happening. All RAM memory checks
> turn out just fine, with and without HT.

When you say "All RAM memory checks turn out just fine" do you mean
the BIOS memory checks or something else?

For a proper memory test run memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/)
and/or memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) overnight (some 8-12hours
or more) with all tests enabled.. If the machine survives without
errors that then you can be reasonably sure memory is OK... The BIOS
tests are more or less worthless.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>