Idea: Automatic binary driver compiling system

From: Benjamin Bach
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 12:24:49 EST

Hi all,

First off: I'm new on this list. I'm also new at starting projects. Anyways, I've decided on this idea for my first year computer science project. I have three months to set it off and definitely the whole thing would be released into the world afterwards.

Second: I don't want opinions on the issue of making it easier for companies to create binary (pre-compiled) drivers. Yes, we all want more open source drivers. Of course.

OK, so here goes: According to Distrowatch there's currently 377 different distributions out. We have multiple architectures and fresh kernel patches every week. If we multiply these numbers, we'd find that a company wanting to release a closed-source driver module for Linux would face - say - 5,000 compilations a month. Impossible. So most companies just release largely incompatible binary drivers in a frustratingly limited variety.

I've been looking around for material about the topic of binary Linux drivers and creating such in a broad-scale batch mode. But I haven't found any. Oh yes, except for Documentation/stable_api_nonsens.txt which I found very helpful. But the issue is not having a stable interface - rather it is about having a good debugging and building tool that handles very very large amounts of kernel versions and patches.

I would be very grateful for pointers to any helpful resource and also thoughts on what problems I'm facing. Also I'm aware that this is probably not the first time "batch module compiling" has been mentioned... ?

Sincerely,
Benjamin Bach