Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.0 released

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 20:40:11 EST

On 17 Mar 2006, at 20:39, Willy Tarreau wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:25:44PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
I have two routers, ADM5120-based Edimax and LinkSys WRT54G v5, both of
which have a mere 2MB of flash, and both use SquashFS to maximize that
space. And both are el cheapo, slow embedded processors that run far
slower than 300Mhz. I look askance at anyone who wants to make an
arbitrary filesystem design decision imposing tons of bytesex upon these
lowly devices.

100% agreed. I love squashfs because it's tiny and efficient, and I
would not want to see it getting heavy.

Thanks! I'm determined to keep Squashfs as small/efficient as possible, as that's where I see its main advantages.

BTW, has someone tried to port LZMA to squashfs ? I tried so on
bzImage + initramfs, and got something like a 27% smaller image.
That would mean about 500 kB on a 2 MB image.

There are quite a few third-party LZMA patches for Squashfs. OpenWRT (for wifi routers) uses an LZMA patched Squashfs.

I've been asked about using LZMA for Squashfs quite a few times. The major problem as I see it with LZMA is it is not supported by the Linux kernel, and I don't want to use anything that might prevent it being merged! At the moment I'm happy with the current situation where there's third party patches available for those that want or need it. Of course if the situation changed with LZMA going into the Linux kernel, then I'd see no problem in using it in Squashfs.

Phillip