Re: does swsusp suck after resume for you?

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 03:54:18 EST

On Pá 17-03-06 08:33:26, Con Kolivas wrote:

> correct url:
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/swap-prefetch/2.6.16-rc6-mm1-swap_prefetch_test.patch

I'm sorry, I'm leaving for mountains tommorow, so it will take me a
while to test it.

> > > 2 means aggressively prefetch as much as possible and then disable swap
> > > prefetching from that point on. Too confusing?
> >
> > Ahha... oops, yes, clever; no, I guess keep it.
>
> Ok the patch works fine for me and the feature is worthwhile in absolute terms
> as well as for improving resume.

Good.

> Pavel, while we're talking about improving behaviour after resume I had a look
> at the mechanism used to free up ram before suspending and I can see scope
> for some changes in the vm code that would improve the behaviour after
> resuming. Is the mechanism used to free up ram going to continue being used
> with uswsusp? If so, I'd like to have a go at improving the free up
> ram vm

Yes, it is.

> code to make it behave nicer after resume. I have some ideas about how best
> to free up ram differently from normal reclaim which would improve behaviour
> post resume.

One possible improvement would be to never ever return 0 if there can
still be more memory freed. Rafael did some ugly workaround, but we
do not even understand the problem.
Pavel
--
82: return SampleTable;