Re: TSO and IPoIB performance degradation

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 06:44:34 EST

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 13:27 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting David S. Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I disagree with Linux changing it's behavior. It would be great to
> > turn off congestion control completely over local gigabit networks,
> > but that isn't determinable in any way, so we don't do that.
>
> Interesting. Would it make sense to make it another tunable knob in
> /proc, sysfs or sysctl then?

that's not the right level; since that is per interface. And you only
know the actual interface waay too late (as per earlier posts).
Per socket.. maybe
But then again it's not impossible to have packets for one socket go out
to multiple interfaces
(think load balancing bonding over 2 interfaces, one IB another
ethernet)