Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.0 released

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 15:00:49 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

Al is right. Unconditional swap is probably faster than
branch. Avoiding swaps is nice, but avoiding branches is probably more
important.

Quite possible.

Can you try to benchmark it? I believe it is going to be lost in
noise, slow cpus or not.

Good idea, I'll try to benchmark it (on a slow CPU if I can find one :-) ). It will probably make no difference.

I don't want the lack of a fixed endianness on disk to become a problem. I personally don't think the use of, or lack of a fixed endianness to be that important, but I'd prefer not to change the current situation and adopt a fixed format. I use big endian systems almost exclusively, and I don't like the way fixed formats always tend to be little-endian.