Re:swap prefetching merge plans

From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 02:54:08 EST

Hi,

I am just a user, but I would love to see this feature.

After compiling stuff, I have usually some kb in swap (300kb, 360 kb), and
lots of free ram. But even this few kb make my KDE desktop extremly sluggish.
It feels, like every byte is fetched individually and always the wrong stuff
ends in swap.

The only 'workaround' so far is to do a 'swapoff -a&& swapon -a' which not
only clears swap, but make my box blazzingly fast again (thank you guys,
besides this little swap annoyance you all do a great job).

So everything that makes the situation better (swap in of data faster) is
highly welcome. The CPU is bored most of the time anyway and as I wrote
above, usually lots of ram are free. So why not use the free ram and free CPU
cycles?

The compelling argument is: swap is extremly slow. It is so slow that you can
go out, plant a tree, build a house and father a son while I am waiting for
some few kb to get fetched from it. Everything that reduces swap access when
the data is needed, is IMHO a good thing. Oh, and the harddisk is not slow.
Only swap is.

Glück Auf,
Volker